Wednesday, February 1, 2012

THE SEARCH FOR A NEW COMPUTER

I don’t think my computer is long for this world. It works — sorta, but it is acting up as bad as a two year old.

I have always been a Mac guy. When I got started with computers I visited a number of stores to try and get a feel for what a computer really was and what it did. More importantly, how did it work and could I work it. You would have thought I crossed the border into some foreign country. I could not understand the language and did not have a book to help me translate. I asked several times if they spoke English and all assured me they did, but then they would launch into this gobble-di-gook that had no relation to the language I knew and understood. It was even worse when they would have me sit in front of a computer and follow the steps as they attempted to explain them. Where is my sledgehammer?

I have never been good with foreign languages and it didn’t take me long to decide I did not have time to return to school and learn this new forked tongue. Frankly, I gave up on computers.

Jim Sellers was pastor of the Portland church at the time and served on the district board. He kept saying, try a Macintosh. Finally he convinced the board to let him get one and bring it in for us to try. He could not have arrived at a worse time. We were working on our district newsletter. We did it the old fashioned way with scissors and glue. Good old cut and paste.

Believe it or not, I took a course in “commercial art” (no called graphic art) at the University of Omaha. My dream was to become an architect, but I thought this would be a great backup plan. I had wanted to be an architect since I was twelve. I bought house plan books while my friend bought comic books. It was OK, I always read their comics. Wouldn’t you know it! I washed out in architecture (but meet a lot of girls in the interior decorating class -only boy in a class of 100). At the same time, the shoe store where I worked asked me to consider management training. If I did, I would have my own store in less than a year in any part of the USA I wanted. Being one who tended to take the path of least resistance, I took that path and abandoned all hope of my eight-year-old dreams.

Obviously God had other plans. Eight months later I left Omaha to experience the great white north — skiing, skating, snowmen, snow forts, etc. I could hardly wait to be in the mountains. Omaha is flat as a pancake.

Omaha is a waffle compared to Saskatchewan. I should have looked that up in some picture book. Every photo I had even seen of Canada included Mountains. I was tricked.

After a few years of confinement in the monastery for the socially ignorant, I went into church work and began using all my U of O training (without extra pay).

I do get off track, don’t I? When Jim brought the Mac in, he sat me down and stayed with me for a couple of days and we produced our Newletter on that little box of a machine. Now having some computer literacy I know I can no longer afford Mac. I want it, but we don’t always get what we want. It’s not fair. Life isn’t fair. Guess what. I have to learn a whole new language AGAIN. I have some better comprehension, but there are too many options. They say, “What components do you require?” How do I know? What can I get that I can move the hundreds of Mac photos and artwork I have on my hard drive and CD’s? Nothing. Huh! You mean it would be like starting all over and rescanning everything? I could not use any of the formats I have saved for future use? WHAT!

So, yes, I am frustrated. I have a couple of speaking engagements coming up and will be able to afford a low-end computer. But I then have to buy programs. At a minimum I need (want) Word and Photoshop. Photoshop will cost more than the computer. I’m stuck. At least I feel stuck. What happened to packing word processing programs with computers?

I am not going to give up. I am reading “Understanding Computers for Seniors”. Helpful. What I really want is for someone to do all the work for me and just tell me what to do. I know that doesn’t work. I’ll keep studying and then find a translator to go shopping with me. I already know that person does not live here. I’ll ask around church.

3 comments:

Cartoon Characters said...

Word is a good program to buy. But, unless you are prepared to be frustrated....I would forget about Photoshop. Just upload the freebie Picasa3. You can do HDR on it now and the options are simple, fast and very good! Download it and try it out! I wouldn't bother with a MAC. Why people spend the extra thousand when the basic computer will do....I have no idea...

I have better things to do with my hard earned $!!

All you need is something that has speed and space to download photos(which is most computers nowadays!) and you don't really need to spend much to get something that is more than adequate.

Some of my nieces and nephews have Mac but they use their computers a lot more than me - mostly for University. Hey, I am starting university again....and really...I don't need any more than what I have- A Gateway....and I am happy with it!

Problem is, you spend all the bucks on the expensive MAC and in a couple of years it's obsolete! There is always going to be something better!

:) Just my 25 cents!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cartoon Characters. Don't get Photoshop - it is very tricky and a huge learning curve. You can scan and edit photos on Irfanview which is free, easy and pretty intuitive. Maybe you could open a Flickr account and put your pictures there. Then you can access them from any computer.

Forget Mac - get a regular pc - my 2 cents.

-Heidi F

Clyde said...

Well friends, I had already decided I cannot no longer afford a MAC. But I may still get Photoshop. I have worked with it from the beginning and it works great for my newsletter, photos and especially my art. I may check around for other options. Time will tell. I already work with Word so would get that for sure.

The reality is that is a couple of years all computers are obsolete. By changing to PC now means nothing I have will transfer. No patterns, So I am going to make everything I need to keep into a jpegs so I can at least sent them to the PC. Lots of work.