Thursday, February 9, 2012

A MEAL AND SALVATION

Today a group went for our monthly “Meal Out.” We went to the Airport Diner. They have the best fish and chips. I was approved to drive the company bus back in June, but this was just my second time on a trip. Finally letting me drive seemed to take forever.

The bus holds 14 people. We had fourteen sign up to go. However, we had one person drive. It ended up being a good thing. Maria is still made at me. This has been going on for nearly one year. She does not forgive and the bigger problem is that it is her fault. She had no intention of riding in the bus with me driving. I have to laugh. She acts like a child and pouts when I am around. I ran into her at the mailbox a couple of days ago and said, “Good Morning” as cheerfully as I could. She frowned and turned her head away and said nothing. I expected that. So when I left I said, “Now you have a wonderful day.” I am determined to treat her with love regardless of her responses. In fact, maybe she isn’t mad at me, but embarrassed by her own actions. I think I’ll choose to see it that way.

I have tried twice before to take wheelchairs on the bus, but the lift has never worked. Twice I have left a couple of wheelchair tenants while the rest went off. I hate that. But I have since learned all the little tricks to make that lift work. So I was very excited as Chas was able to go with us, and the Airport Diner is one of his favorite places. In fact, I was giddy. I had trouble with some of the straps that hold the chair in place. If I had two chairs, we would have had a problem. I could not find all the straps needed for two chairs.

I’m reading “Breakfast at Sally’s” by Richard LeMieux. Wish I could pronounce his last name. It is the story of a homeless man’s inspirational journey. He was homeless in Bremerton so the book is having a wonderful impact in our area.

I just finished the chapter titled “I Get Saved.” It reminded me of everything I hate about pushy overly religious churches. They over use the God word’s, which only makes me wonder if his faith is real. I was so irritated with the pastor that I wanted to go find him and punch his lights out. He owned a car dealership, repossessed cars and was a slum landlord. And he and his wife jetted all over the country for entertainment. He loved the shows in Las Vegas. I know all are not bad, but the way he talked about women I could see him going to gawk at the showgirls (my imagination). Worst was is clear distain for the poor,

Richard was asked to attend the church to meet a woman who was going to provide a dry place for him to live for a while. At the service he was called out by name to be saved. This tiny extreme Pentecostal church all ended up laying hands on him and praying for his salvation. The only way he could figure to end this was to “accept Jesus.” I didn’t blame him. I blamed the church. I know how he felt. I have had that same experience as a child. It is threatening. You come to Jesus out of fear, and rarely do it with a sincere heart.

You can’t hear my pain, anger and frustration, but emotionally I would like to put the church out of business. They call themselves Bible believing fundamentalist and I find that embarrassing. I want to find anew term to identify with. I think I’ll just call myself a God lover.

2 comments:

Cartoon Characters said...

I agree wholeheartedly... some churches are worse than those they are trying to save.

And the author's name is pronounced "Le - mew" ;^)

Clyde said...

Thanks for the help on the name. I appreciate it,